Prevent Fires Today.
Take steps to protect you and your family from home fires:
- Never use water to put out a grease fire. Use baking soda, smother with a tight lid, or use an approved fire extinguisher.
- Keep lit candles out of reach of pets and children, and 12 inches away from flammable fabric, books, and furniture.
- Install smoke alarms on the ceiling of each sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of the home.
- Test smoke alarm batteries monthly and replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Make a fire escape plan.
- If you live in an apartment, identify all the exits in your building and never use the elevator to get out.
Did You Know?
During a fire, every second counts. Make sure your home escape plan includes at least two exit routes from each room, as well as a safe meeting place outside.
- Review two ways to get out of every room with each member of your household.
- Make sure each escape route is unblocked and accessible.
- Practice your plan