Be Ready Before The School Year Begins
Take some time before school starts to:
- Help your child memorize their phone number and full address, including area code and zip code.
- Write down other important phone numbers such as your work and cell phone on a card for your child to carry with them.
With your child, map out a safe way for them to walk to school or the bus stop:
- Avoid busy roads and intersections.
- Do a trial run with them to point out places they should avoid along the way, such as vacant lots, construction areas, and parks where there aren’t many people.
- Make plans with trusted neighbors and friends about picking up your children if you are at work or out-of-town.
Provide your child’s school with updated emergency contact information. This helps to ensure that the school has the most accurate information to reach you during an emergency.
Did You Know?
Like individuals and families, schools and child care providers should all have site-specific emergency plans.
- Ask your child’s school how they will communicate with families during a crisis.
- Find out if they are prepared to “shelter-in-place” if need be, and if they store food, water, and other basic supplies.